Time to recanalization is key in Acute Ischemic Stroke
Standard of Care Thrombolysis Hindered by Stagnant Flow
Each year, people suffer 800,00 new strokes in the USA (and over 10 million globally). When a person has a stroke, every minute counts: the blood clot in the brain blocks vital blood flow.
Doctors only have a small window of time—approximately 3 hours—to deliver the powerful clot-busting drug, Tissue Plasminogen Activator (tPA). tPA is the only FDA-approved thrombolytic therapy and has remained the “gold standard” since 1996. Yet, traditional delivery of tPA is hindered by stagnant flow. Fluidic barriers hinder fast and reliable therapeutic delivery, which may result in a greater likelihood of disability and death.
Pulse Therapeutics has developed a new breakthrough technology Magnetically-Enhanced Diffusion or MED.
The MED System™ is designed to improve the fluid dynamics in stagnant flow vessels by using a rotating external magnetic field to preferentially direct intravenously-injected, iron-oxide MED MicroBeads™ which convey physician-selected agents at a rate faster than otherwise possible.
- The MED MicroBeads are designed to convey physician-selected agents faster to the blood clot
- Iron oxide MED MicroBeads™ are intravenously administered after thrombolysis therapy is initiated
- Mechanical adjunct to standard of care IV thrombolysis
While the MED MicroBeads™ are being infused, the touch screen operated MED Workstation is placed near the patient’s head. The magnet inside spins rapidly, accelerating treatment.
- ED-based or procedure room
- Lightweight and portable
- Procedure designed to match 1 hour thrombolysis
- Touch screen interface
Designed to improve clinical results
MED System™ Application in Acute Ischemic Stroke
Drug never reaches end, infusion over 2 hours
With The MED™ System
Drug reaches end in less than 15 minutes
How it Works
The stirrer rotates in phase with the base unit’s magnetic field.
Mixing of an agent (red) occurs in a circular fashion.
By using many stirrers, mixing of an agent (red) now occurs in a linear fashion.
- No tissue/bone compensation is necessary (standard MRI fields have been shown to be non-interactive with tissue and bone)
- The stir rods retain their ability to be preferentially directed
- Coupling their rotation to the magnetic field creates a new fluidic current
- The MicroBead structures disintegrate when flow is restored